Joyanggak was built by then government official Lee Yong in the 17th year of Gongmin-wang of Goryo (1368). It was also called 'Myeongwonru'.
Myeongwonru which was extracted from the poem of good writer Han Toi Ji of Chinese Tang Dynasty means "To see scenery of distant open place, two eyes gets more sharpened."
This anecdote is written on document of Myongwonru recorded by Saga(pen name) Seo Geo-Jeong, the excellent writer of Joseon Dynasty. There were Cheongryang-dang(house) to the left and Ssangcheong-dang(house) to the right with Joyanggak at the center, both of which were burnt down during Imjin-woaeran(Japanese invasion of Korean in 1592)
Current building was the one which was rebuilt in the 16th year of King Injo of Joseon Dynasty and renamed as Joyanggak. Current Joyanggak is composed of 5 compartments in front and 3 compartments at sides. And about 80 hanging boards engraved with poetries of a noted sagas and people ofrefined taste who passed by this town. Besides, inside Joyanggak are literature monuments, song monument of song 'Hwangseong-yetteo' and monument for Yeongcheon district war victory, etc located. (Buk Yeongcheon IC, Cheongsong, (Old)Sijeong 5-way crossing, Yeongcheon IC, Public Health Center, Culture Center, City Hall, City Hall 5-way crossing, Pohang)
- Tangible Cultural Properties No. 144
- Location : 1-1 Changgu-dong Yeongcheon city
- Period : 17th year(1368) under the reign of Gongmin-wang(King) in Goryo Dynasty
- Formation : Folded eaves, Paljak-roof
- Owner : Yeongcheon city