Yonggye-seowon was built at Dogok-dong in memory of learning and virtue and loyalty of Gyeoneun(pen name) Lee Maeng-Jeon who is a civil minister during middle era of Joseon Dynasty and one of Sangyuksin(living 6 loyal subjects in Joseon Dynasty) to the order of King in the 6th year of Jeongjo(1782) in Joseon Dynasty. Gyeoneun Lee Maeng-Jeon passed civil service examination in 9th year of King Sejong (1427) and served Jeongja (government post) at Seungmoonwon (government office), Jeongoen (government post), and Hyeongam (governor) at Geochang-hyeon. He resigned from his position and retired into one¢¥s ancestral burial ground and spent his whole life pursuing his studies as Sooyang-Daegun tried to seize the throne of young King Danjong. He was later granted the posthumous conferment of honors of minister. The Yonggye-seowon was moved to Nohang-dong according to the order of abolition of Seowon by Daewon-gun in 5th year of King Gojong and used as a village school. And it moved to where it is now because of construction of Yeongcheon Dam in July 1976. The Yonggye-seonwon has tower style paljak roofed house which was built by Ikgonggye-construction style.
Lee Maeng-Jeon(1393~1481) Pen name is Gyeongeun and family origin is Byeokjin. He was born in Hyeongok, Gumi as a son of Lee Sim-Ji, minister of the Ministry of War. He studied under Yaeun(pen name) Giljae's instruction and entered the government service. After Gyeoimyo-jeongran(suppression against rebellion), he proceeded to become local governor of Geochang with no desire to be involved in a national administration. As King Sejo dethroned King Danjong, he kept his promise not to serve two kings by resigning from his official position and retiring into his hometown. He passed away at the age of 89 after he got out of touch with outsiders living as fake blind and deaf person for 27 years and thinking only of King Danjong(Alter of Sangyooksin Lee Maeng-Jeon and graves for his father and grandfather, Yongsan-ri, Wongak resting place, Yongsan Bus Stop, Yeongcheon, Yeongcheon Dam, Jukjang)
- Tangible Cultural Properties No. 55
- Location : 303 Yongsan-ri Jayang-myeon Yeongcheon city
- Period : 6th year under the reign of Jeongjo of Joseon Dynasty (1783)
- Owner : the families of Byeokjin-Lee-Si (family name) and Gyeongeun-pa (sect) Lee Jong-Wook